- Nov. 17, I will be part of an ensemble led by Bobby Bradford, premiering his work Stealin' Home. This work is a commission by The Baseball Reliquary. Nov. 17, The Boston Court, 70 N Mentor Ave, Pasadena, CA 91106
- Nov. 2, Purple Gums (Bobby Bradford, Francis Wong, William Roper), will make an appearance at the Chicago Asian American Jazz Festival.
- Sept. 12, Sun Space presents a trio of myself with the inimitable Bobby Bradford along with the one and only Brad Dutz. A not to be missed experience. Thursday, Sept. 12 at Sun Space, 9683 Sunland Blvd., Shadow Hills, CA 91040.
- Sept. 7, ARK Arts presents two duos: myself with the inimitable Bobby Bradford and the husband/wife duo of Jeff Gauthier and Maggie Parkins. A double bill not to be missed. Saturday, Sept. 7. The ARK, 2599 Fair Oaks Ave., Altadena 91001.
- July 17, Purple Gums (Bobby Bradford, Francis Wong, William Roper), will appear on the Just Jazz Concert Series.
- July 7, The Decisive Instant will perform my work "Fishin' dem Bones," for improvising ensemble. I will conduct. The concert is part of the Open Gate concert series at the Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock, 2225 Colorado Blvd., Eagle Rock (one block west of Eagle Rock Blvd.). Admission is $10, (students, seniors, and past series performers half price). Free parking.
- June 27, along with percussionist Andrea Centazzo, I will be a guest doing an improvised set with Shelley Hirsch (voice) and Thea Farhadian (violin and electronics). The concert presented by The Unwrinkled Ear and Black Editions. Thursday June 27, 2019, Doors 8:30pm, Coaxial Arts, 1815 S. Main Street, Los Angeles. $10.
- June 26, bassist and composer John Kennedy, performs my suite of six graphic scores titled Experience>Dream>Memory - Slivers of Time. This suite is an examination of my growing up and living most of my life in Los Angeles. With the exception of the score New-Opened Eyes, (which John premiered in February), this will be the world premiere of the work. 8:00PM. Mimoda Studio, 5774 W. Pico Blvd., L.A. 90019.
- June 1, I will be a guest artist with the Southland Ensemble as they present a program of Anthony Braxton's music as part of the L.A. Philharmonic's Noon to Midnight festival of new music. We play at 10:00PM. Walt Disney Concert Hall.
- May 23, 24 & 25, appearing in Melody Takata's "Nothingness," at the Southside Theatre, Fort Mason, San Francisco.
- May 10-11, appearing in a duo with percussionist Danny Frankel at the High Desert Soundings festival of new music. Joshua Tree, CA.
- May 9, I will join the Los Angeles Free Music Society to activate the space of the Palm Springs Art Museum through sound. This experience is part of Artist-in-Residence Renée Petropoulos' Experts & Amateurs project. Noon - 8PM. Palm Springs Art Museum, 101 Museum Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92262. Free.
- April 21, As part of the Asian Improv Nation Special Edition Ensemble, I will perform at Thi Ca & Su Viet 7 Au Co Production's 7th annual Vietnamese Arts & History show, with this years theme: Vietnamese Women Through Time.
- April 20, I will play in a trio with Wesley Ueunten and Francis Wong as the Department of Asian American Studies will celebrate its 50th anniversary with a Gala Dinner at SF State. The keynote speaker, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, Jose Antonio Vargas, graduated with a Black Studies degree from the college.
- April 6, Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra at the World Stage in Leimert Park, Saturday, April 6, celebrating Horace's 85th birthday. 9pm. At 8pm performance by Horace's 16-year-old great granddaughter, pianist Maddy Lyons. 4321 Degnan Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90008. Admission: $20/Set | 9pm and 10:30pm Sets | Park and Enter in Rear.
- April 6, A smaller unit, a quartet from the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra at La Tierra de la Culebra in a line-up of many other groups. We will play around 1:30 PM. 240 S Ave 57, Los Angeles CA 90042.
- April 5, A trio comprised of members from the Silver Screen Sextet plays a couple of sets of free improvisation at The Battery Books and Music. Vijay Anderson - drums, Bobby Bradford - cornet, William Roper - tuba. The Battery Books and Music. 26 S. Los Robles Ave., Pasadena 91101.
- March 8, I will premiere a new work as part of NewTown's "Vladimir's Underpants Unfolded. A sonic and media experience on the go." I will be joined by Charles Sharp, with video by Beth Block. 4-6 PM. The East Staircase at Union Station in downtown Los Angeles. 800 N. Alameda Street, 90012.
- Feb. 22, my "Fishin' Dem Bones," will be performed by the Improvisation Ensemble of the Music Department of CSU Fullerton, as part of the 18th Annual New Music Festival: Ancestral Threads - Music for strings, pianos, voices and rivers. 8pm Meng Concert Hall, 800 N State College Blvd, Fullerton, CA 92831 Info
- Feb. 1, John M. Kennedy, premieres my "New-Opened Eyes - 1965," as part of HEAR NOW's "Civil Disobedience," at the Wende Museum of the Cold War. 8 PM, 10808 Culver Blvd., Culver City, CA 90230.
- Jan. 25, Joseph Mitchell's Coming of Age in the 1960s. 8 PM. Marsee Auditorium, El Camino College. 16007 Crenshaw Blvd., Torrance, CA 90506.
- Jan. 6, Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra, Del Monte Speakeasy. 10:00 PM. 52 Windward Ave, Venice, CA 90291.
- View Chung King Corpse, an event that was part of SASSAS' Mapping Sound, day-long extravaganza in Fall 2009.
The "lite" bio
The other bio
Land Ob Cotton
Read commentary and see photos from many of these events on Roper's blog at Peripatetic Roper.
Watch a video portrait of Roper from Joseph Santarromana's series The Rememberers.
William Roper is a Miraphone artist and plays Warburton mouthpieces.
See the video of Fanfares and Arhoolies on youtube