- Sept. 12, Carl Stone with Akaihirume plus Roper, Fjellestad & Griffith. 7:30 PM @ ART SHARE-LA, 801 E 4th Pl, Los Angeles, CA. Doors open at 7PM. $10. Carl Stone [computer / electronics], Akaihirume [vocals / electronics], William Roper [horns], Hans Fjellestad [keys / synth], Kio Griffith [live visuals]. Presale Link. Facebook Event info.
- Sept. 7, Fred Lonberg-Holm/ William Roper - Cello/ Tuba Duo, presented by The Unwrinkled Ear. Thursday September 7, 2017 Doors at 8:30, Music at 9:00, @ Collective Arts Incubator, 1200 N. Ave. 54, Los Angeles 90042, $10/ $5 for previous performers in series. Unwrinkled Ear info.
- Aug. 22, Re-release of CD Cartography, on Minus Zero label. The recording, originally released by Tomato Sage Records, features the Geodetic Trio, comprising the late Glenn Horiuchi, Francis Wong and William Roper.
- July 2, appearing with Brad Dutz" 10-tet in premiering his epic suite "Ten Technicians Titled Ted" at Open Gate's New Music Sundays series. 7 PM. Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock, 2225 Colorado Blvd., L.A. 90041.
- May 20, Asian Improv Nation. May 20, 2 − 4 PM. Asian Art Museum, 200 Larkin St., San Francisco, CA 94102.
- May 11, Steve Weisberg Orchestra w/Jill Sobule, Suzy Williams, The Cages, Andre Stevens-Thomas & More. 8 PM - 11 PM. Herb Alpert's Vibrato Grill, Jazz, and Etc., 2930 Beverly Glen Circle, Los Angeles, CA, 90077.
- April 28, Southland Ensemble, performs Anthony Braxton's Ghost Trance Music, Compositions #228, 245 and 358. 8 PM. Art Share-LA, 801 E. 4th Place, L.A.90013.
- April 23, ensemble NotQuiteFree, Jazz at the Tithing Closet. Sacred Geometry. 8:30 PM. 1028 E. Pacific Coast Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90806.
- Feb. 25 or 26, appearing at the L.A. Art Book Fair. The actual day depends on what happens with Purple Gums. All day at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA. 152 North Central Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90012. (213) 626-6222.
- Feb. 25 or 26, appearing with Purple Gums somewhere yet to be determined in Los Angeles. Special guest will be Lenora Lee.
- Feb. 11, performing in a site-specific sound performance by Greg Lenczycki. 4:30 PM. At Show+Tell Projects, 360 East 2nd Street, Los Angeles.
- Feb. 07, appearing in a collaboration with Carl Stone at the Blue Whale in Little Tokyo. All info HERE.
- Jan. 16, appearing with The Silverscreen Sextet, led by Vijay Anderson, performing Anderson's "Song from The Insidewalk." Join The Silverscreen Sextet for a journey through time, performing "Song from The Insidewalk" - an immersive audio-visual composition/improvisation on the historical spaces and contrasting cultures of Los Angeles. The show illuminates the influences of LA's architectural structures, artistic and political movements, and culturally diverse people. Musical artists featured include - along with Oakland-based Vijay Anderson and Hafez Modirzadeh - 4 of Los Angeles's most iconic underground musicians: Bobby Bradford, Vinny Golia, Roberto Miranda, and William Roper. Full dome visuals performed live by Los Angeles visual artist Tim Hix. Past and present visual clips will show the cities disparate cultures, history of protest, and economic disparity without opinion, allowing the audience to engage and interact with the imagery along with the musical compositions. This show will be presented on MLK Day and is inspired by his message of peaceful protest and passive resistance. We will look beneath the cosmetic face of LA seen by the world, exposing the buried voices left behind by mainstream media, the voices inside the sidewalk. Please join us inside the Vortex, a 360 immersive projection dome, where visuals and music combine to guide the viewer on a journey through some of the complex history of this magic city. 6:30 − 9 PM. 450 S Bixel St, Los Angeles, CA 90017-1495. $20.00. Pre-sale and further info HERE.
- Nov. 05, appearing with Jill Sobule at the Saban Theatre as part of Stephanie Miller's Sexy Liberal Tour.
- Nov. 05, appearing with the Kim Richmond Concert Jazz Orchestra at the L.A. Jazz Institute's festival featuring the music of Stan Kenton.
- Nov. 04, appearing with an L.A. Jazz Institute all-star big band playing excerpts from Stan Kenton's Cuban Fire.
- Oct. 29, appearing with Decisive Instant. Treasured Possessions with Open Gate Theatre October 29, 2016 American Legion Post 13, Pasadena
- Aug. 11, appearing with the Michael Vlatkovich Septet on the Hammer Museum's JAZZPOP Series. 8 PM. Free. Courtyard. Hammer Museum. 10899 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90024
- Sometime in late May or June, keep an eye out for a new commercial that features rodents misbehaving with musical instruments and cars. That's all I will say for now.
- May 21 & 22, Francis Wong's Double Victory Project. A performing arts tribute to the contributions of Asian American communities to the historic vision of victory over both fascism and racism in World War II. 1 pm – 2:30 pm on Saturday and Sunday, May 21 and 22, 2016. Fort Point. 999 Marine Dr, SF 94129. Under Golden Gate Bridge entrance. Admission Free
- April 23, Beyoncé releases "Lemonade." If you purchase the visual album, then watch the title "Hold Up." In the final scene, which is in black & white, look beyond that monster pick-up truck that is crushing those vintage cars and you will see me in the band wrapped in a sousaphone. You wouldn't notice otherwise. It was a long two days and they took a lot of shots, but this is the only one of me that got in. Well, not really. In a previous scene you can see the horn way in the distance. You have to trust that I am holding the horn, because you certainly can't see me.
- March 19, Purple Gums. Brass ensemble Purple Gums performs, comprised of Bobby Bradford (cornet), William Roper (tuba) and Francis Wong (saxophones), carrying on the tradition of making music in the moment. Expect a tasty gumbo of jazz, free improv, ragtime and classical. With special guests Lenora Lee (dancer/choreographer) and Genny Lim (poetry). Tateuchi Auditorium, Sutter YWCA Building, 1830 Sutter St., San Francisco, CA 94115. 2 PM. Admission Free.
- Feb. 28, the Obihiro Cowboys ride again! We head west to perform at Highways Performance Space. Also on the bill is JAB, a trio of Anna Homler, Jeff Schwartz and Breeze Smith.
- Feb. 17, Judicanti Responsura performs on a new concert series at the Santa Monica Public Library. The series "Soundwaves,"features artists who have works on the streaming service DRAM. 7:30 PM.
- Jan. 20, Chobraty performs on the Glendale Noon Concerts series. 12:10 PM. Glendale City Church, Glendale, CA
- View Chung King Corpse, an event that was part of SASSAS' Mapping Sound, day-long extravaganza in Fall 2009.
- I have two images in the City of Los Angeles' 2010 African American Heritage Month Calendar and Guide. Click here, then download the .pdf version on the guide. My images are on pages 72 & 74.
The "lite" bio
The other bio
Land Ob Cotton
Watch a video portrait of Roper from Joseph Santarromana's series The Rememberers.
William Roper is a Miraphone artist and plays Warburton mouthpieces.
See the video of Fanfares and Arhoolies on youtube