- Oct. 2 or 3, 2020, the trio "Memories Do Not Hurt," featuring Chris Williams-trumpet, Patrick Shiroishi-woodwinds, William Roper-low brass, et al. High Desert Soundings Festival.
- ALL EVENTS FROM MARCH 14 UNTIL WHO KNOWS WHEN, HAVE BEEN POSTPONED OR CANCELLED DUE TO THE COVID-19 SITUATION. It is a shame. Do what you can to stay healthy.
- May 7 & 9, 2020, premiere performances of "Can I Get a Witness," a work commissioned by Asian Improv with support from SFAC, CAC, Zellerbach Family Foundation in collaboration with API Cultural Center as part of an exhibition curated by Ziying Duan. At SOMarts. Exhibitions runs through May 28. And yes, I will have work exhibitied.
- May 3, The Decisive Instant Ensemble presents Music of Anthony Braxton. 7PM. Open Gate Theatre New Music Sundays, Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock, 2225 Colorado Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90041
- May 2, 2020, Southland Ensemble, celebrates its 7th season in 2019-20. This will be an entire program of my works, including the premiere of a commission by the Koan Quartet. 8pm @AUTOMATA, 504 Chung King Ct, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- May 1, The Decisive Instant Ensemble presents Music of Anthony Braxton. 7PM. The Wende Museum, 10808 Culver Boulevard, Culver City, CA. 90230
- April 13, I will be performing on Bobby Bradford's suite for jazz ensemble, "Stealin' Home." 7PM. Jazz 360 Series. LACC Herb Alpert Music Center - Department of Music, 855 N Vermont Ave, Los Angeles, California 90029
- April 5, Garth Powell with CuZn's (Bobby Bradford & William Roper), performing a program of improvisations. Open Gate Theatre - New Music Sundays. 7PM Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock, 2225 Colorado Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90041
- April 3, Performing a new work of mine "Am I to be a listener only all my days? - after Juvenal," on a modernized version of ancient Roman cornu. On John White's 5X5X5. 7 PM. Art City, 197 Dubbers St, Ventura, CA 93001
- March 22, 2020, I will perform as a member of the Asian Improv Nation Special Edition Ensemble at the 12th Auco Annual Show, Vietnamese Arts & History 8, Thi Ca & Su Viet 8. 1:30pm-3:30pm. Gunn Theater in the Legion of Honor, 34th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94121.
- March 20, 2020, A rare Bay Area concert of works by composer/saxophonist Francis Wong with an ensemble featuring William Roper, tuba; Deszon X. Claiborne, drums; and Scott Oshiro, flute. Additional artists tba. The evening will draw on Wong's repertoire of compositions addressing themes of loss, persistence, hope, and realization inspired by his decades of experiences as an artist and community worker. Photo by Krzysztof Machowina. Admission: $20. Click here for tickets. 945 ArtSpace. 945 Clay Street, San Francisco Chinatown. 7:30 PM - 8:45 PM performance.
- March 14 & 15, 2020, I will be part of Heidi Duckler Dance's site-specific work "Underway." The performance takes place in the vacant underpass beneath LA's historic 7th Street Bridge. 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm. Click here for info.
- March 13 - 15, 2020, composer and bassist John Kennedy will give a lecture-performance of my graphic score "New-Opened Eyes-1965" in Flagstaff, AZ, at the College Music Society Regional conference.
- Feb 21, 2020, Bradford/Roper duo, to be henceforth called CuZn's, opens a new series at Hotshot Muffler. Presented by High Desert Soundings in association with Kensington Presents. $10 suggested donation. Also on the bill is fluke-mogul & Weeks, and Tombsturm.
- Feb. 4, 2020, from 6:00p-7:30PM under the auspices of the Heidi Duckler Dance Theatre, I'll do a lecture/demonstration at the new Willowbrook Library's Beauty In Your Backyard series. 11737 Wilmington Ave Los Angeles, CA 90059. Info. 323-564-5698.
- December 15, is the final scheduled performance of Bobby Bradford's commissioned suite "Stealin' Home." FREE ADMISSION. 3:00-5:00PM, Robinson Park Recreation Center, 1081 N. Fair Oaks Ave., Pasadena, CA. Information: (626) 791-7647 or (626) 744-4738.
- Dec. 10, I will be a guest on Andrew Choate's of "The Unwrinkled Ear" empire, radio show on KChung Radio, 6-8PM.
- Nov. 17, is the penultimate performance of Bobby Bradford's commissioned suite "Stealin' Home. At The Boston Court, 70 N Mentor Ave, Pasadena, CA 91106.
- Nov. 15, playing with the Pan Afrikan People's Arkestra appears at The World Stage. 4321 Degnan Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90008. 9PM-12AM.
- November 10, is the third performance of Bobby Bradford's commissioned suite "Stealin' Home,"at the Whittier College Memorial Chapel.
- Nov. 2, Purple Gums plays the Chicago Asian American Jazz Festival. Here is a video that someone took during the concert.
- October 21, the second performance of Bobby Bradford's commissioned suite "Stealin' Home,"at the Crawford Family Forum, KPCC Studios, Pasadena.
- October 19, We Will Congregate - Extended: Platforms and Wool - A Directed Reading and Performance with Renee Petropoulos and Arturo Hernandez. Renee Petropoulos collaborates with Oaxacan artisan Arturo Hernandez on a directed reading at Santa Monica's Tongva Park. Tongva Park, 1615 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401.
- October 13, sound. at the Baldwin Hills Overlook: 20th Anniversary Corpse is part of the 20th Anniversary of sound. and is the final sound. event as SASSAS turns its focus to organizing its archives. 1 - 6:30PM. Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook, 6300 Hetzler Rd, Culver City, CA 90232.
- October 12, Agua Viva, Heidi Duckler Dance Annual Gala Celebration, 5PM, Los Angeles Theatre, 615 S. Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90014.
- October 2, Camote - trio featuring Corey Fogel-drums, Patrick Shiroishi-woodwinds, William Roper-low brass, et al. 8PM at The Battery Books & Music, 26 South Los Robles, Pasadena, CA 91101.
- Sept. 29, the premiere of Bobby Bradford's commissioned suite "Stealin' Home." Westerbeck Recital Hall, 1570 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91106. Check out this L.A. Times feature.
- Sept. 12, Sun Space presents a trio of myself with the inimitable Bobby Bradford along with the one and only Brad Dutz. A not to be missed experience at Sun Space, 9683 Sunland Blvd., Shadow Hills, CA 91040.
- Sept. 7, ARK Arts presents two duos: myself with the inimitable Bobby Bradford and the husband/wife duo of Jeff Gauthier and Maggie Parkins. A double bill not to be missed. Saturday, Sept. 7. The ARK, 2599 Fair Oaks Ave., Altadena 91001.
- July 17, Purple Gums (Bobby Bradford, Francis Wong, William Roper), will appear on the Just Jazz Concert Series.
- July 7, The Decisive Instant will perform my work "Fishin' dem Bones," for improvising ensemble. I will conduct. The concert is part of the Open Gate concert series at the Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock, 2225 Colorado Blvd., Eagle Rock (one block west of Eagle Rock Blvd.). Admission is $10, (students, seniors, and past series performers half price). Free parking.
- June 27, along with percussionist Andrea Centazzo, I will be a guest doing an improvised set with Shelley Hirsch (voice) and Thea Farhadian (violin and electronics). The concert presented by The Unwrinkled Ear and Black Editions. Doors open at 8:30PM, Coaxial Arts, 1815 S. Main Street, Los Angeles. $10.
- June 26, bassist and composer John Kennedy, performs my suite of six graphic scores titled Experience>Dream>Memory - Slivers of Time. This suite is an examination of my growing up and living most of my life in Los Angeles. With the exception of the score New-Opened Eyes, (which John premiered in February), this will be the world premiere of the work. 8:00PM. Mimoda Studio, 5774 W. Pico Blvd., L.A. 90019.
- June 1, I will be a guest artist with the Southland Ensemble as they present a program of Anthony Braxton's music as part of the L.A. Philharmonic's Noon to Midnight festival of new music. We play at 10:00PM. Walt Disney Concert Hall.
- May 23, 24 & 25, appearing in Melody Takata's "Nothingness," at the Southside Theatre, Fort Mason, San Francisco.
- May 10-11, appearing in a duo with percussionist Danny Frankel at the High Desert Soundings festival of new music. Joshua Tree, CA.
- May 9, I will join the Los Angeles Free Music Society to activate the space of the Palm Springs Art Museum through sound. This experience is part of Artist-in-Residence Renée Petropoulos' Experts & Amateurs project. Noon - 8PM. Palm Springs Art Museum, 101 Museum Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92262. Free.
- April 21, As part of the Asian Improv Nation Special Edition Ensemble, I will perform at Thi Ca & Su Viet 7 Au Co Production's 7th annual Vietnamese Arts & History show, with this years theme: Vietnamese Women Through Time.
- April 20, I will play in a trio with Wesley Ueunten and Francis Wong as the Department of Asian American Studies will celebrate its 50th anniversary with a Gala Dinner at SF State. The keynote speaker, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, Jose Antonio Vargas, graduated with a Black Studies degree from the college.
- April 6, Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra at the World Stage in Leimert Park, Saturday, April 6, celebrating Horace's 85th birthday. 9pm. At 8pm performance by Horace's 16-year-old great granddaughter, pianist Maddy Lyons. 4321 Degnan Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90008. Admission: $20/Set | 9pm and 10:30pm Sets | Park and Enter in Rear.
- April 6, A smaller unit, a quartet from the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra at La Tierra de la Culebra in a line-up of many other groups. We will play around 1:30 PM. 240 S Ave 57, Los Angeles CA 90042.
- April 5, A trio comprised of members from the Silver Screen Sextet plays a couple of sets of free improvisation at The Battery Books and Music. Vijay Anderson - drums, Bobby Bradford - cornet, William Roper - tuba. The Battery Books and Music. 26 S. Los Robles Ave., Pasadena 91101.
- March 8, I will premiere a new work as part of NewTown's "Vladimir's Underpants Unfolded. A sonic and media experience on the go." I will be joined by Charles Sharp, with video by Beth Block. 4-6 PM. The East Staircase at Union Station in downtown Los Angeles. 800 N. Alameda Street, 90012.
- Feb. 22, my "Fishin' Dem Bones," will be performed by the Improvisation Ensemble of the Music Department of CSU Fullerton, as part of the 18th Annual New Music Festival: Ancestral Threads - Music for strings, pianos, voices and rivers. 8PM. Meng Concert Hall, 800 N State College Blvd, Fullerton, CA 92831. Info
- Feb. 1, John M. Kennedy, premieres my "New-Opened Eyes - 1965," as part of HEAR NOW's "Civil Disobedience," at the Wende Museum of the Cold War. 8PM, 10808 Culver Blvd., Culver City, CA 90230.
- Jan. 25, Joseph Mitchell's Coming of Age in the 1960s. 8PM. Marsee Auditorium, El Camino College. 16007 Crenshaw Blvd., Torrance, CA 90506.
- Jan. 6, Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra, Del Monte Speakeasy. 10:00PM. 52 Windward Ave, Venice, CA 90291.
- View Chung King Corpse, an event that was part of SASSAS' Mapping Sound, day-long extravaganza in Fall 2009.
The "lite" bio
The other bio
Land Ob Cotton
Read commentary and see photos from many of these events on Roper's blog at Peripatetic Roper.
Watch a video portrait of Roper from Joseph Santarromana's series The Rememberers.
William Roper is a Miraphone artist and plays Warburton mouthpieces.
See the video of Fanfares and Arhoolies on youtube